I have begun to look into my ancestry after getting addicted to Ancestry.com thanks to my sisters-in-law Misty and Amanda, and cousin Chelle. I am finding some amazing documents and already linked to a distant relative in Colorado I have never met before.
I have a little sense of urgency to find out as much as I can about the Irish side of the family before my trip there in June. I already feel bad for the residents of Kilworth, County Cork, that I will be bothering with question after question.
Last night, I found the actual record of my great, great grandparent's marriage in Middleborough, Massachusetts (they both came over from Ireland and evidently met in Massachusetts), as well as the birth record of my great grandfather. My great grandfather was a Rough Rider in the Spanish American War and I was able to find his records from that time in the National Archives. From there, I was able to locate the military headstone application for him, and came to realize he is buried in the cemetery I used to drive by everyday on the way home (right by UNO).
What an amazing time we live in with digitized documents!
I think I will have to start a new blog to share what all I have found with the rest of the family, and to serve as a bit of a repository to share what others have as well. Here is the link: http://michaelaancestry.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment